LIFE PLANNING FOR THE OVER FIFTIES
Who is it for?
Anyone wishing to plan and take decisions about how they might live, earn and learn in their 50+ lives. Suitable for people considering full retirement and those already retired, semi-retired or individuals looking for a combination of paid and unpaid activity will find it useful.
What is the course content?
The facilitator is a professional Careers Adviser, former University Lecturer and an experienced teacher of adult learners. The course content draws on current thinking and research from the disciplines of Career Guidance, Positive Psychology and the "Well Being" agenda.
The content is underpinned by three main themes:
· Effective decision making
· Raising awareness of what contributes to Well Being in later life
· Generating ideas and providing information specifically relating to
choices for the 50+ age group.
What the course does not include.
· Any detailed reference or advice relating to financial planning
· Any advice on pensions.
How is the course delivered?
The course is delivered drawing on a combination of teaching and learning styles. It is interactive, informal and supportive. Participants will work both in small groups and individually. Participants are encouraged to share their thoughts experiences but can contribute as much or as little as they want. There is a combination of input from the trainer and facilitated exercises, which course participants "try out" in a safe and supportive environment. There is usually a lot of good humour and laughter!
Other characteristics of the course
· There is an emphasis on providing tools and techniques to help individuals explore and clarify thoughts, feelings and priorities in order to ensure more informed decision -making.
· The course materials include case studies and pen pictures complied using oral history techniques to record the current and real-life experiences of local people experiencing transitions in their fifties.